31.5.09

Pride and Prejudice... in Israel??

My favorite book of all time would have to be Pride and Prejudice. In fact, I own Pride and Prejudice in a new Israeli translation that is supposed to be very good-- my theory being that since I can open up Pride and Prejudice to any page and understand what is going on, I can probably read it in Hebrew. I'll admit that it's a bit weird for me when Mrs. Bennet says "Oy, nachon!" Still, I actually love reading this book in Hebrew because lines jump out at me (when I'm reading at a rate of about 20 minutes a page) that I don't notice in the English version... in some ways it's like reading the book again for the first time.

At any rate, the translator of Pride and Prejudice, Irit Linor, recently wrote the script for a new mini-series on Israeli TV: Ma SheNachutz LeRavak, based on Pride and Prejudice! So obviously, I'm there. The first episode aired this week, and it was actually pretty good-- Fitzwilliam Darcy is now Nimrod Artzi, a multi-millionaire from Tel Aviv traveling up to an upscale tsimmer (a kind of bed-and-breakfast) in northern Israel for a weekend with his friend, Ben-Gal, and their respective sisters. (I think someone had fun coming up with those names.) Jane and Elizabeth are Anat and Elona, two divorced sisters who appear to be more thirty-something than twenty-something.

So far I most enjoy the characterizations of Bingley, Darcy, Bingley's sister, and Lydia-- who is recast as Elizabeth's daughter, born when Elizabeth was very young and entered into a disastrous marriage. Altogether, it's a little disconcerting but very clever. Elizabeth and Jane are recast as divorcees-- Elona (Elizabeth) years out from a terrible young marriage, Anat (Jane) newly divorced and devastated. Their mother, played by a famous Israeli actress whose name I forget but who looks eerily like my ulpan teacher, is cast and acted perfectly. It's a lot of fun to see how an Israeli Jane Austen fan re-imagines the novel to fit modern Israeli society!

Here's the trailer, if you're interested:



And yes, the word "sex" is repeated about seven times in this trailer. If you want to read a straight translation of the novel, read the book. Irit takes more liberties in the mini-series. :)

This made me think, though. If you would recast Pride and Prejudice in Israeli society... or any society, really... where would you set it? I've always thought that the orthodox community is most like the world portrayed in Jane Austen, especially given the shidduch system of match-making and the pressure to settle down and get married. My husband observed yesterday that maybe the reason I like the new show Srugim so much, which is about a group of young modern Orthodox singles in Jerusalem, is that it reminds me of Jane Austen. Maybe!

11 comments:

  1. Gosh Maya, if ever there were a random event to encourage me to make Aliyah, it's this mini series! What a total hoot. Thanks for posting the trailer. I wish the whole series were available here - even though I don't speak Hebrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fabulous? And to sweeten the pot... HOT cable TV is running a marathon of Jane Austen movies as part of the kick-off of this series. I just saw "The Jane Austen Book Club" (read the book before) and "Lost in Austen Land" (a surprisingly good mini-series) for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, will this come out subtitled, even in English? (I'm Argentinian, so Spanish would be as good.)

    It looks great, even if I don't understand a word they're saying. (I did catch 'sex' several times, heh.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe! Only the first episode has aired so far, but I'll try to find the answer to that when/if the mini-series comes out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen Bride and Prejudice? It is P&P in modern India (then England and the U.S) complete with bollywood numbers.

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Bride Prejudice!! My sister and I saw it in the theater in the US, and we laughed through the whole thing. I'm enjoying the Israeli adaptation, but Bride Prejudice is still by far my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this information! I never heard about Jane Austen in Hebrew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maya, I will publish a post about your book and your comments ok? You are the first person who speaks hebrew that I met! :)
    By the way, I am Adriana, English teacher in Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maya, I'm desperately trying to find a copy of Pride & Prejudice in Hebrew. The problem is that I'm in the US and I can't seem to find anything online. What do you suggest I do?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd suggest you run a web search for גאווה ודעה קדומה (you can copy and paste those words into the browser) and see what you find. Look for this cover, as it's a good translation. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!I was looking for this series. I would like to ask you if you know if there are English subtitles of it? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails